It’s been another year of not a lot of reads unfortunately. But five books is better than none:
- A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow
- Ghost in a Black Girl’s Throat by Khalisa Rae
- Land of Shadows by Rachel Howzell Hall
- Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson
- The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw
My top two favorites would have to be A Song Below Water and The Secret Lives of Church Ladies. A Song Below Water had sirens and other interesting mythical creatures. Not to mention, it was well-written! And The Secret Lives of Church Ladies just covered humanity and its occasional messiness in ways that reminded me of work by Toni Morrison and Zora Neale Hurston. Church Ladies will definitely sit with me for a while. I’m looking forward to rereading it.
Two books I’m determined to finish next year:
- Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
- White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson
These books were so good! And between busyness and reading slumps, they just didn’t get done. I’m hoping to make those the first two books I finish in 2023.
Next year, I definitely want to get back to reading more books. I used to read through 20 so easily. I’ll stick with 12 for my goal since that would be one a month. I think that’s doable.
Let me know what some of your favorite reads were this year and what some of your goals are for next year.